in the culture as a whole. So it quit right to call Spock a common sense approach does reflect views accepted widely in our culture .
Now on of the thing that I came to realize is that the kind of approach toward education, child rearing ,and family life that I was interested in didn't reflect the surrounding culture ti any great
extent.On the contrary, it represented a break with the culture. T used to have a terrible time talking to people about child rearing. I found out that it was a subject that I couldn't talk to almost anybody else about, precisely because I didn't share a comin language with many other people in this area. It is very upsetting to recollect this, because this was tied up with a process of I underwent personally, and it all started because I was so sure that all the things I stood for wee
just plain common sense, that none of them are common sense because they don't represent the
generally accepted approach.
So then I asked myself, how could I characterize what I am doing? And I thought,'' well. I am
raising my children naturally, I am going back to state of nature, which seemed an appropriate why to see thing, since I felt that the culture had alienated itself from nature. And what we have
to do is go back to nature. this view was quite fashionable, it went with natural food,natural living,natural this and that. So I started saying my approach to child rearing was "natural." until
I began to study nature more closely,and found out that time and time again I was not doing the natural thing at all .
No comments:
Post a Comment